Friday, April 1, 2011

A is for Animal





For this challenge, I bring you creatures. The scary, the smelly, the slimy and the sweet.

Today's critter is a little bit slimy, and a little bit sweet.


The axolotl is a species of salamander. Unlike other salamanders, the axolotl is the epitome of neoteny. Meaning it never undergoes metamorphosis. Metamorphosis allows the waterborn salamanders to adapt to life on the land, in which they'll lose their gills and become more.. well, lizard-like, only returning to the water to lay their eggs. The axolotl, however, never goes through this process. It retains its adorable baby-axolotl features, including gills, which sentences it to a life underwater while all its salamander cousins scurry about freely in the Overworld.

One thing it has over its salamander bretheren...

The axolotl can smile.
And a salamander will never make as cute an amigurumi. (A is for Axolotl Amiguri)

courtesy of crafster.org

9 comments:

  1. OMIGOSH I love the stuffed animal!!! It's so cute!! Can I have it?!!?!?!?!? Hehe... maybe I'll steal it then you'll never know (wait, now you will).

    I'm stopping in to welcome you to the A to Z challenge!! I'm a co-host, should you need anything don't hesitate to ask! I hope you stop by to say hello! We'll also be having fun on twitter (I'm @jenunedited and we can be found at #atozchallenge)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is seriously cute. And I love that smile!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the challenge. I see my stalker and fellow co host Jen Daiker got here before me. So does that make me her stalker? Anyway, these pictures are amazing! I love learning about new animals.

    Nice to meet you!

    KarenG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! And very cool salamander. I can truly say I have learnt something new.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I does look like its smiling! How can something be both slimy and adorable? Welcome to the challenge!
    Edge of Your Seat Romance

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just wonderful , what a start to the challenge. good luck with the rest of the 25.
    This was very interesting and on a subject I knew nothing about so I have learned something today, Thank you.

    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So cute! I learned something! I'm looking forward to reading your next post, and I'm glad you're a part of the Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, 26 new animals to learn about. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That thing looks like a punk rock aquatic animal. Love the posts so far, this is almost like a lesson in cryptozoology.

    ReplyDelete