Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Soul-Searching in the Woods

Goodness, the last couple of weeks have flown by!

Spending five days a week, effectively alone and surrounded by nothing but trees, is not as inspirational for my writing as I had hoped. Nope, I'm no Thoreau after all.

Not to say it hasn't been fun! But I am very grateful to be home with the sweetie today before I head back into my self-imposed isolation tomorrow.

All right, it's not really isolation. I'm working with the public, while at the same time being able to enjoy the region's natural resources. I've been blessed with the opportunity to get up close and personal with an endangered gopher tortoise, watch a mother fox dig a burrow, glimpse a rare indigo snake slithering across a trail in front of me.

This has been a very spiritual experience for me. Anyone who knows me well enough knows that I've been an atheist for the last eight years, after being raised Catholic. (And teaching Cathechism as an angsty mall-goth girl in high school! I still giggle thinking about me in church with blue hair, black lipstick and studded belts, teaching second graders about to make their Communion.) The more time I spend alone though, the more I am breaking down those walls that I've built that say there is NOTHING beyond what we experience on the physical plane. Though this may not turn out as I ever expected it to.

I have more self-reflection to do over the next few months. I have plenty of free time to do it, and with such a beautiful background!

No comments:

Post a Comment